Monday, May 19, 2008

iAdmit that iLike Comics.


Alright, I'm not sure if iHave talked about this before. But I'll admit it now-- iLike comics.

I ain't just talking about the charming little Sandman you see here on the left. Superman, Batman, Spider-man, X-men. I've read 'em and iHave (mostly) liked 'em.

There seems to be a prejudice or a sort of snobbishness in certain breeds of adults that causes them to snub comic-reading. I'm talking 'bout all you people out there who snort at the mention of Kal-El or Peter Parker. The Sunday funnies seem to be about the only sort of comics you lot can take. Anyhow: as you can tell, this isn't your sort of entry if you're not open-minded enough to the realm of graphic novels and fantasical themes.



Rewind (<<) a decade back. As a child, iRead a decent number of books. Children's books. Abridged classics. Poetry. Short stories. Comics. Putting aside the many days spent laughing at Calvin 'n' Hobbes or the hours that have slipped by grinning with Garfield, iWas an avid intruder of my brother's more "hard-core" comic collection. Thor, Warlock, Superman (plus his many variations), Spawn. They were as interesting to me as any other book I had read. You could find intricate plots-- fleshed out characters -- wit -- little notes from the editor, even. And there was a good deal of art.

Perhaps it takes a mind tempered with childishness and utter youth to disregard the flippancy of superpowers or planet-eating Giants.

So there's my opinion, I suppose. That somewhere between the flying-people and occasionally banal lines, comics hide a dream of impossibility. Not everyone can find it and maybe novels make us understand it using different terms. iDon't want to put down those people who don't like comics-- as long as they don't put down comics. It's one thing to say you don't like something and another thing to devalue its existence.

On that note: I highly recommend Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" comics to anyone who has a fundamental understanding comic types. "Fables" is also a newfound favourite of mine. Those of you who can't tell Marvel apart from DC (poor souls...), I'm sure your novel-isque ways would affirm to...let's see... "Pride of Baghdad", perhaps?

If you were wondering why the illiterate blogger has brought up this subject of comics on her unfortunately neglected blog, then take a look at this year's movie listings. That's right. Iron Man. Hellboy. The Incredible Hulk. The Dark Knight. The movie-goer in me has been most pleasurably engaged to my affinity for comic books. The latest Batman film was an intense, entertaining experience... the only thing keeping me from telling you to STOP READING THIS BLOG and go out to WATCH THE DARK KNIGHT is my polished sense of vanity.


Now. How many of you have attended or dreamt of attending an Oxbridge University? iWas watching the History Boys with some of my college friends recently and it is a decidedly controversial movie. Homophobics and not-very-bright people are warned against watching it as there are strong themes of homosexuality as well as some rather learnt wittiness that could or could not offend various audiences. The movie revolves around a group of intelligent (but nonetheless juvenile) boys who are intent on studying History at Oxford University. Their endeavors are coupled with the other confusing pains of growing up in British society. iWould not consider this as one of the films iLove but I did enjoy it and I can imagine that many people in their late teens would also enjoy the History Boys.


Alright. iThink that I'll leave it here. All this talk of comics and movies-- iHave forgotten to speak of books. Fear not, intrepid reader! iShall soon write of my latest illiterate exploits and then some more.


Write you later. Go read something.



-The illiterate Blogger-

No comments: