Saturday, May 12, 2007

My List of Good books iHate.

iPromised a list, so here it is! Take no offence if you love the books iHate. After all, it must be a good book if it got such a strong reaction out of me, right? It is in my opinion that a good book is a book capable of producing a strong reaction from its readers, negative or positive. This is after putting aside the general critique for a good book (decent writing, a plot that hasn't been done over a quintillion times in the same way, etc). But I won't set anything in stone... books and the critique of books; these two are both ambiguous topics, no?


Now...onwards to the list! These are the books I'd read twice only for an English Literature class!


My List of Good books iHate.


+ The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

+ Lord of the Flies by William Golding.

+ Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of The World by Haruki Murakami.



+ The River Between by Ngugi wa Thiong'o

+ Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.



+ Mansfield Park by Jane Austen.



+ The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean


End

You may have already guessed it by now but just in case you were wondering: yes, I do use the term 'iHate' loosely. Some of these books are very difficult to hate because they were written very beautifully and provoked much admiration from me. On the other hand... some of them I downright disliked.

I would like to apologize for the first book on the list right now, because I have never finished reading it. That's how much iHated it. You'll probably critisize me for not giving Hosseini's book an honest chance-- I'm just not a fan of books that repel me enough to put them down immediately.

I'll leave you here to think about your own list of Good books you Hate (if you have any). See you next entry!


Write you later. Go read something.

-The illiterate Blogger-

No comments: