Tuesday, May 22, 2007

To Penang and Back!

Hello again, my non-existant readers!

I've just been to Penang (Malaysia) and back, with the family. iThink that I have gained weight since then-- after all, who goes to Penang Island for the sunshine and sea? It's the food that attracts people! Nasi Kandar, fresh prawns/crabs/whatever and all sorts of kuih-muih. In short, a fun trip.


While I was there, iStopped by a second-hand bookshop in town. There were loads of books (published) from the 60s and onwards and the place reeked of aging paper. I used to be a school librarian, so it was very natural and enjoyable to walk about the place; even bought a few books. Mainly old hardcovers of books I've yet to read (Heidi, Wuthering Heights, etc). I also found a very tattered copy of Alice in Wonderland.


So here's my question to knowledgeable readers and book collectors. Do you know a good book-binder or book-mender?



Once upon a time, iRead a young adult fantasy novel titled 'Inkheart' (soon to be a major motion picture, apparently). There was a character in the book who happened to be a book-binder-- he repaired old books and bound them with new linen covers. Although I've always been aware of these book doctors, it wasn't until iRead Inkheart that I took an actual interest in the idea of binding old hardcover books.


Ever since, I've accumalated a few (note: four to five) old books that could use some new binding....and one that needs major surgery, so to speak. I'd be very grateful if any one of my non-existant readers could recommend a good book doctor in Malaysia that could help me.


Here, my rambling comes to an end for today; iHope that this entry has gotten you thinking about those old and yellowing books you may have stored in a dark corner of your home. Keep them in good condition, poor things!



Write You Later. Go read something.



-The illiterate Blogger-



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard about a book-binder/mender in the TTDI area... but I've not checked it out myself, and I don't know the exact location.