Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Curiouser and curiouser...


The curious incident of the dog in the night-time.

This is one of those books that iAlways hear about and see on the shelves. My friends have recommended it and even the cover presents itself very nicely to my eyes-- iHave this thing for simple covers (but don't acuse me for judging a book as such!).
I'm not sure if the author is faithful in his depiction of an autistic child's perspective, but the book was quite interesting to read. It wasn't ground-breaking in my opinion and there were parts that made me feel like Haddon was overdoing it, because the text was starting to give me a headache.


The way Christopher thought to himself started to become repetitive after I was through with the first half of the novel. I felt like there should have been more text between every sentence of repeated information (like a certain neurotic rule about red and yellow cars) so that it didn't feel like he was trying to point things out to an idiot through repetition. I also wish that there was more description to the book. Not just short moments of observation followed by memories that're connected to them. It didn't feel *real* in that way.
On the other hand, I was compelled to read on and find out what was to become of Christopher. The reader knows more of the world around him than he does because he isn't in-tune with the vastness of human emotions. The mathematical puzzles and little drawings were quite a delight as well.
My conclusion? A good book that I'd rather study in a Lit course than read for enjoyment. iThink that it is the novelty which makes it so charming to readers, though I'd rather not make that a generalization.
If any of you feel like reading more about people with strange minds (that's what I call 'em), iHear that "Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls" by Jane Lindskold is pretty good. Haven't read it myself although I may give it a try once I've recovered from The curious incident of the dog in the night-time.


Write you later. Go read Something.


-The illiterate Blogger-


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you enjoyed this "How I Became Stupid" by Martin Page might be a good follow-up.

I really liked "The Curious Incident..." it was a fresh approach, Haddon had some interesting observations on autism, plus it was very-well written. I don't think I'd like to have it as a big description-heavy book... it was short and sweet, great for a night's read.

Nuri said...

To each his or her own, I suppose. A description-heavy book wouldn't have suited me either, but I feel like something was missing from the book. A sense of surroundings or, for that matter, 'sense' itself (the other and less common, sense).

Still a good book though. Just not explosive.

Anonymous said...

now that you mention it, an autistic person wouldn't have had much sense of his surroundings.

I prefer Grease 2 over the original.

Nuri said...

I wouldn't know how an autistic person notices his or her surroundings, since the cases can vary. It would be nice if an autistic person could really write a book, but even that may not be faithful to his/her PoV.

Kate Davies said...

In the last few weeks, a drama called "Coming Down the Mountain" was on UK tv. I regret I forget which channel. I was told it was written by Haddon too. It also deals with disability - this time down syndrome, and I'd recommend it.

I enjoyed Curious Incident when I read it last summer. It was refreshing to really read how an autistic person thinks (or supposedly does), and aided my understanding. Yes, it may have given you a headache, but autistics think in a different way. :o)