Monday, July 16, 2007

Of Labyrinths.


"You remind me of the babe..."

Older readers of my blog will probably recognize the quotation on top from the 80's movie: "The Labyrinth." Don't you just love David Bowie?

I like to watch films from before my time. Dr.Zhivago, My Fair Lady, Sangam (classic Hindi film), etc. It's great fun because you get to see how some productions manage to stand the test of time in spite of special effects degradation.

The Labyrinth was reasonably good, even in the CGI era of epic LoTR or Narnia films. Jennifer Connelly's acting is probably the worst thing about it but that doesn't matter-- although she is technically the protagonist of the film, Connelly isn't its 'star'. Center-stage is stolen from the pretty teenager by more eccentric characters... notably Goblin King Jareth (David Bowie), Hoggle and Dydimus the talking fox.

What really makes the movie memorable is its soundtrack: catchy tunes sung by the Goblin King himself and accompanied by some very funky dance movies! I can't bring myself to forget "Dance, Magic, Dance" or the more sombre "Within You". This has definitely been one of the weirdest films I've seen in a while and a classic to boot.

In other news, I'm currently reading Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time."

Here's a 'did you know' fact that I acquired from a fellow avid reader: Haddon was the friend of a creative writing lecturer whose son had Asperger's syndrome. He spent a lot of time with his friend's son-- based on this experience, he wrote and submitted the novel without telling the boy's mother, despite knowing that she planned to write a similar novel.

I'll write about my understanding of the book when I'm done with it.



Write you later. Go read something.


-The illiterate Blogger-



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What babe? :-)

I surfed in from Bibliobibuli.

The Labyrinth poster was the first thing I saw and "Dance, Magic, Dance" came straight to mind--I can't believe you called me old.

Nuri said...

Anyone born in the early 80's is old to somebody my age! =P

Seriously though, not many teenagers know about The Labyrinth. It's sad.

Anonymous said...

Bowie is a dinosaur lah, no point trying to make him hip again.

Just curious, that pic "where your heart is", where is is taken? Looks like a nice place to visit.

Nuri said...

His flippancy reminds me a bit of Depp's Jack Sparrow. They should re-make the film (or make a film based on it, considering the typical storyline).

That's a picture of a beach in Langkawi. Paradise on earth!

Anonymous said...

Well, that depends...what do you think of Grease?

Depp already did the weird hair thing with Scissorhands--older readers might remember ;)

Never been to Langkawi; 3 aborted journeys. Tioman, however, is my special place.

Nuri said...

I loved Grease! It made me laugh very, very hard the first time I saw it and the songs were excellent. Sometimes an OST can form the film.

Scissorhands aside (another nice film), Depp couldn't play Jareth. The world needs another blonde, weird rockstar.

Never been to Tioman before, btw. I hear it's good for scuba diving.

Anonymous said...

What about Grease 2?

Oh yes, I took my friend--who has dived everywhere in Australia--to Tioman and he rated it as one of the best dive spots he's ever been to.

Nuri said...

Never saw Grease 2; haven't heard anything good (or particularly bad) about it.

If I ever get around to acquiring a diving license, I must visit Tioman. =P

Castus Albus Cor said...

Don't you just love that worm when she goes into the labyrinth? "Come in meet the misses"